Video-Beta-Discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 5

Steve Sisak support at ioxperts.com
Thu Nov 13 13:46:49 EST 2003

At 5:19 PM -0500 11/12/03, Richie Z wrote:
>i use and like Evocam, which works great w/ Panther (after i deleted
>all references to ioXperts{sorry ioXfolks}...) before i deleted all
>the ioxperts files, i would get a kernal panic everytime i tried to
>use the camera. is this typical?

No it's not -- in fact yours is the first report.

I've searched our support mail for a bug report from you but I can't
find one -- could you please re-send it?

Also, please note that since all of our code in running in user
space, it's not possible* for us to cause a kernel panic.

*unless there's a bug someone else's kernel code.

(For the sarcasm-impaired, we already know of lots of ways to cause
FireWire to panic from user space)

When you send your bug report, could you please send a panic log,
which you can get from the Console application?

Also, we did get one other report today which involved an ATi Radeon
card with new drivers -- since we return data in a format that the
ATi drivers can accelerate in hardware it's possible that there's a
connection, but until we get your bug report I can't be sure.

Did I mention that if you find a bug you should send us a bug report?

>i had been using the ioXperts drivers through 10.2.8 (no iChat AV
>though, because my machines are g3 450 and g4 400 mhz) this week my
>new G5 2* 2gHz will arrive - yay!

You may be stuck with the Apple's driver (if you have a FireWire
camera) or nothing (if you have USB) for iChat for a bit.

(See my previous post for details)

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                            +1 617 876-2572