IOXperts Webcam/IIDC 1.1b29 Available

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Jan 21 16:46:21 EST 2004

On 21 Jan, 2004, at 10:41, Steve Sisak wrote:
> At 9:31 PM +0100 1/20/04, Manfred Schubert wrote:
>> When I sort, I sort by type of application, not by vendor. So I would
>> sort it myself into my own subfolders after installation. And for now
>> when the Camera Control app is the only one it's sort of unnecessary
>> at all.
>>
>> But that's just my opinion of course. Collect others before you make
>> a decision.
>
> Any other opinions? (I don't have a strong one and this is easy to
> change)

My two cents...

Personally, I prefer to keep Apple Released (ie OS) software
independent of any "add-on" software.

Where kernel mods are necessary, this is not possible. However,
everything else should wind up being installable ANYPLACE.

I prefer the drag and drop style installation (ala OmniWeb or their
other apps). This allows me to keep all of these add-ons on a separate
drive from the OS in a folder I call "Addin-apps".  In general, I
detest "installers," because they do things to you without giving you
any clue what they are doing... which invariably makes un-installing
impossible. (And I haven't yet found an un-installer that doesn't leave
some detrius behind, typically in the Preferences folder. (Why else
would Aladin's "Clean Sweep" be a sellable product?)

My goal is to keep the root system completely "virtuous" -- minimal
intrusion from things which are not on the OS distribution disks. This
allows one to perform upgrades or system changes/re-installations with
minimal reinstallation of add-on software.
... which also implies that any add-on software which wants or needs
something to exist in a system library should check for its existence
and either offer to install it or inform you, through a non-cryptic
error message, just what is missing. URL Manager Pro is a good example
of this with its Shared Menu support library.

Oh yeah, and I normally have a "vendor" folder, typically called
"vendor-stuff" or "application-stuff" where I "install" (keep and
store) the particular version, and sometimes multiple old versions of
dmgs, Read-Me's, Install logs, etc. This is especially true when I'm
dealing with beta versions of software.

FireWire disks are CHEAP!

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com