IOXperts Webcam/IIDC 1.1b29 Available

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Thu Jan 22 10:58:42 EST 2004

At 6:49 PM +0000 1/21/04, Barney Hilken wrote:
>I'm using iChat AV with iChatUSBcam, the IOXperts driver version
>b29, and a Philips ToUCam fun. The video is very dark, so I want to
>turn down the FPS (because that works in other apps). I thought this
>was what IOXperts Camera Control was for, but I can't get it to
>work. If I launch it before iChat, it complains, but if I launch it
>after iChat, it bounces up and down indefinitely, and never opens a
>window. Any possible fix?

It appears that the problem here is that the driver installs a
handler for incoming Apple Events (to receive events from the camera
control application) in the application's RunLoop -- this works for
most applications since it's illegal to call QuickTime from anywhere
other than the main thread.

Unfortunately, it appears that iChat is starving the main event loop
for time when a conference is running and the Apple Event receiver
never gets any CPU time to respond. We need to do some profiling and
possibly look into moving the receiver to a separate thread.

On a related note, someone (off list) pointed out that the Camera
Control application does not support multiple cameras -- we need to
open it up and fix this, which will require revisiting the same code.

I'd be interested in UI ideas for Camera Control.

I consider it a bug that it won't launch until a video application is
running (sorry) -- it should present a list of any open video streams
and allow you to choose which one to control.

One obvious implementation is to provide a pop-up to select which
stream to control, which doesn't increase the amount of screen real
estate and scales well - it can just be disabled when there are not
streams.

The disadvantage is that you can only control one stream at a time.

Another would be to have a window per stream -- this uses more screen
space and might have a more complicated UI.

Because these items will require code changes and a bit of thought to
get right, I'm thinking we want to hold both of these until 1.1.1 so
we can ship 1.1 and get some more user feedback.

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476