USB WebCam driver with iRez Kritter

Dan Velleman djvelleman at amherst.edu
Thu Jul 22 09:27:05 EDT 2004

> On 21 Jul, 2004, at 13:42, Dan Velleman wrote:
>
>> WARNING:  USB WebCam driver appears to have fried my iRez Kritter:
>>
>> I have been trying to use an iRez Kritter USB with a G4 powerbook, OS
>> X 10.3.4.  I downloaded the IOXperts USB WebCam driver and installed
>> it, and everything seemed to be working fine in demo mode.  So I paid
>> my $19.95, and IMMEDIATELY the video went black.  I just tried the
>> camera on another computer that it used to work on, and I get the same
>> thing--just black.  So I'm assuming that my camera is dead.  I suppose
>> it could be a coincidence, and the camera died at the instant that I
>> paid, but it seems unlikely.  What seems more likely to me is that the
>> registration process caused the driver to do something bad to my
>> camera.  (Needless to say, I'm pretty annoyed.)
>>
>> Has anyone else had this experience?
>
> I don't think it has anything to do with IOXperts per say.
>
> My Pyro Web cam (firewire) hasn't worked since 10.3.4 ... same symptom
> --
>
> It's recognized by the system ...  (you plug it in and it launches
> iChatAV), but the video is black.
>
> Using BTV pro yields the same "black" as soon as you open the Video
> preferences.
>
> Using Apple's HackTV Carbon, yields an error of -32745:SGStartPreview
> and again, as if you go to the Video preferences you get "no video from
> source."
>
> ... but the camera still works fine on another system.
>
> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill
> # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
> # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
> # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
> # XP1000  [Alpha EV6]

Yes, but:
1.  Unlike your situation, my camera *doesn't* work on another system
that it used to work on.  The other system is 10.2.8, so it's not a
panther problem.  It worked on that system on Monday, and it didn't
work on Wed., and the system wasn't changed.  It looks to me like the
camera is dead.
2.  It worked in 10.3.4 until I paid IOXperts, and then it stopped
*immediately*.  Again, that doesn't sound like a 10.3.4 problem to me,
it sounds like a problem with the registration process for the driver.

I won't be reading this discussion group anymore--not much point, since
I no longer have a camera.  If anyone can suggest a way to get my
camera working again, please send email directly to me.  Thanks.
   -Dan Velleman