iBook G4/ Logitek Notebook Pro IOXperts Video 1.1.2a20 driver

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Thu Nov 2 10:44:13 EST 2006

At 10:29 AM +0300 10/31/06, Neville Strange wrote:
>Its only this morning when I loaded the latest IOXPERt driver that
>the problem of skype crashing manifested itself.

Well, I've got a lead on Skype crashing -- not a great answer however:

It appears that Skype is calling Quicktime (specifically the video
digitizer) from an alternate thread.

Simply put, this is illegal. QuickTime is not thread-safe and _must_
be called from the main thread (or at least the same thread as the
user interface).

I don't know if there's anything I can do from within the driver to
address this -- the crash I saw was when the driver was trying to to
allocate a GWorld to decompress data coming back from the camera.

(The driver uses QT internally to do software pan/tilt/zoom, which is
on by default in this release, which may make the problem more likely
to show up)

If you get lucky and the main thread happens to be idle at the time
the call is made, it might work some (or even a lot) of the time.

In any case, I'm talking w/Skype and will keep the list posted on progress.

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476