Microphone recognition on Quickcam Fusion

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Tue Jul 31 12:54:45 EDT 2007

At 9:34 AM +0200 5/31/07, Carola Clavo wrote:
>El 31/05/2007, a las 4:32, Chris Catalano escribió:
>
>>Has anyone on the list been able to access the mic on
>>the original version of the Quickcam Fusion?  The
>>video has been working more or less ok with the
>>various versions of the beta driver.  Definately had
>>some glitches here and there, but the microphone has
>>never worked from day one.  I was hoping someone had
>>figured out a way to get the OS to recognize the mic
>>in the camera.  Anyone had any success??
>
>When using the beta driver it doesn't work. If
>you use it with NO drivers at all, it works with
>the latest Skype version and internal betas. It
>appears as "Unknown USB Device".

A lot of this depends on the revision of the
QuickCam Fusion (this applies to most of the
Logitech cameras from the QuickCam Pro 5000 and
newer).

At the moment we provide only a video driver for
the camera -- the audio interface is handled by
the Apple USB Audio Class driver.

The issue is that some version of the camera
don't implement the USB Audio Class specification
correctly in a way that is incompatible with the
Apple drivers (but happens to work on Windows).

Also, some of the older cameras are Composite
Class devices with a Vendor Specific video
interface -- the newer camera are Miscellaneous
Class devices with a USB Video Class video
interface -- these will work with the Apple USB
Video class driver shipped on Mac OS X 10.4.6 (?)
and newer -- although I'd recommend 10.4.8 or
newer, due to some USB bugs in 10.4.6 and 10.4.7.

We will share the camera with the Apple driver --
you should see both as inputs -- but many of the
camera features will not be available with the
Apple driver.

Also, on older versions of Mac OS, if you have a
Miscellaneous Class (newer) camera, the mic won't
be visible to the Apple driver because the OS
doesn't know about miscellaneous class.

If you send me the output from USB Prober for you
camera (and tell me what OS version you're
running), I may be able to give you a better
answer.

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476