unknown process steals Philips SPC 900NC

Sebastian Hunt seb at soi.city.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 05:34:54 EDT 2007

I'm currently using webcam driver 1.1.2a28 to drive a Philips SPC 900NC on
an iMac running OS X 10.4.9.

The camera is not listed as supported in the readme but actually works
very well except for one thing. Often (but not always) on reboot I find
that I cannot use the camera with BTV or any other app. It appears to be
in use by some process unknown (to me). The camera has a light which comes
on when it is in use and this light comes on and stays on.

My workaround is to reinstall the driver but not restart at the end of the
install. This releases the camera from whatever is tying it up and I can
then use it happily until next reboot.

My main problem with this workaround is that my kids - the main users of
the camera - can't do it because they don't have admin. Any other
suggestions would be very welcome.

Seb