Issues with coreaudiod in 10.5.2?

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Fri Mar 7 10:23:40 EST 2008

At 2:50 PM +0100 3/7/08, Andi wrote:
>Edward Hahn schrieb:
>>I have a new Mac Pro (early 2008) running 10.5.2 that I'm trying to get
>>working with a Phillips SPC900NC.  While I am able to do this with the
>>beta 1.1.2b2 version of the driver, this appears to cause some sort of
>>interference with the "coreaudiod" daemon - console shows it segmentation
>>faulting every time a system or software sound tries to play (e.g., empty
>>trash, or the sounds in iChat).  Strangely enough, iTunes playback isn't
>>affected (although there's a interruption ("skip") when coreaudiod
>>crashes.
>>
>>I've deleted the driver and immediately see the problem disappear.
>>Reinstalling causes the problem to reappear again.
>>
>>Anyone else seeing this?  Is there any other info that would be helpful to
>>provide?
>
>I'm having the same problem with 10.5.2.
>I didn't know what causes coreaudiod to crash. As I've read your
>message, I tried to remove the video driver and the crashes of
>coreaudiod were gone.
>Would be nice to have a fix for that :)

The audio half of the camera is controlled by Apple's USB Audio Class
driver directly, so we don't really have any control over it -- that
would be between the camera firmware and Apple's driver.

If you have access to bugreport.apple.com, please file a bug and send
me that bug number -- I will do so as well.

That said, the video channel can use all of the Isochronous bandwidth
on the bus and if the video stream starts up before the audio stream,
could cause the audio stream to fail because there's no bandwidth
left.

You could try reducing the setting of the "bandwidth" slider in the
video settings, which will force the video driver to limit how much
USB bandwidth it uses. If this clears the problem then it's most
likely a bug in Apple's audio driver causing it to crash when it
can't allocate bandwidth.

HTH,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476