Logitech firmware problem (workaround)

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Sat Jan 31 15:36:38 EST 2009

At 3:54 AM +1000 2/1/09, jed wrote:
>Support, can I get a response please?!

Sure. I'll just recycle what I told you in August:

>Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:39:50 -0500
>To: jed <jedi.theone at gmail.com>
>From: Steve Sisak <steve.sisak at ioxperts.com>
>Subject: Re: IOXperts Video 1.1.2b17
>Bcc:
>That private correspondence about Logitech was not appropriate to
>post to the list -- the VP of the division and half of the
>development team is on the list.
>
>This is not appropriate for posting in a public forum.
>
>-Steve
>
>>Perhaps someone else can enlighten me? See correspondence below, tia, jed
>>
>>23/8 Jed Lane wrote:
>>
>>>Please respond...

At the time, I gave you a private description of the problem
including potential workarounds, which you posted to this list when
you did not get further elaboration in the time frame you wanted,
thereby revealing the problem publicly in a way potentially
embarrassing to Logitech.

Large corporations are very sensitive about anything that could be
considered a defect in their products.

Fortunately for Logitech, this issue does not manifest itself on any
platforms where the camera is officially supported and the Mac
version of the camera is specifically engineered to work with Apple's
driver on Mac OS X in a way that does not manifest the problem (but
IANAL).

Subsequently I've (privately) given you a list of cameras which do
not have this problem, which you've just posted to the list.

Since you've persisted in posting private correspondence to this
semi-public list when you did not get the reply you wanted in the
time frame you wanted, I've stopped responding to you privately as
well.

(It may be time to move the beta program to a private list with a
non-disclosure agreement)

I have given your contact info (as well as several others who have
taken the time to report bugs) to Logitech QA in case they need
reproducible test cases or want to work with you further.

I really want to solve this problem and I really want to help you,
but I am completely dependent on the goodwill of Logitech Engineering
to develop a workaround without completely rearchitecting the driver.

There are multiple Logitech employees who read this list and I will
leave any further elaboration on this issue to them, if they choose,
but it is not my place to ask.

We are working on a solution, but I can not give you a definite timeframe.

I am truly sorry.

I wish I could give you more information but doing so in a public
forum would not be appropriate and, based on past performance,
anything I might tell you privately could potentially end up in a
public forum.

In order to prevent additional embarrassment to Logitech and
IOXperts, I will refund the purchase price of your driver.

For others: this issue is specific to 2MP Logitech cameras -- if
you're buying a new camera, buy the Mac version and you'll be fine
(and Logitech will be happy -- they're fine cameras).

If you have an older camera, please be patient.

I'm confident that we will eventually have a workaround for older
cameras, but do not have a timeframe at the moment. I'd like to be
more specific, but this message should explain why that is not
possible.

I'll provide updates as soon as there's something I can say in public.

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476