[IOXperts Video-Developers] Pixel format support

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Sun Feb 15 11:30:17 GMT 2004

At 5:07 PM +1100 2/9/04, Daniel Heckenberg wrote:
>I've also been experimenting with other "unreported pixel formats:
>a while ago on the quicktime-api list you mentioned the possibility
>of getting the raw 4:1:1 data sent on the wire out of the vdig.  Is
>this possible with the current drivers?  I've had somewhat strange
>behaviour when attempting to use the FourCCs that you provided then:
>e.g.
>
>kIIDCYUV411Format  'UYV1'
>
>   VDGetImageDescription (called after VDSetCompression) returns
>-8961 (noCodecErr) but the returned image description seems correct,
>with the cType set to 'UYV1' as requested and the depth set to 12.
>Attempting to capture asynchronously yields no return code errors
>but the VDCompressDone always returns 0 queued buffers.

Hi Daniel,

I'm going to take a quick look at '2vuy' support -- also, while I was
at a kitchen at Apple I got what might be a good test for machines
that have hardware '2vuy' support but not 'yuv2' -- I might change
the default format in this case as profiling shows a lot of CPU time
burnt in Apple's non-altivec 'yuv2'->RGB implementation.

I'd like to know if changing the default is a problem for any developers.

If I ship you a driver (off line) that implements these 2 things, can
you test it quickly? (I keep meaning to write a decompressor codec
for the IIDC formats so I can test the vdig returning them, but don't
have a shell written or time to write it at the moment)

Better yet, can you send me a test application that requests and uses 'UYV1'?

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476