Question about setting option on Marlin IIDC camera

Anders Holm Anders.Holm at lyyn.com
Sat Jun 18 12:31:56 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am beginner at low-level SG programming so please bear with me.

At Lyyn (www.lyyn.com) we're doing some interesting (at least we
think so) image processing.
All our lab-work is done on Mac OS X and up until now with DV cameras.
We are currently evaluating a Marlin F-033C camera
(www.alliedvisiontec.com).

This camera apparently has the capability of passing an RGB image
instead of an YUV image.
This is very interesting to us since, according to the Shark
optimizer from Apple, approx 20% of our applications processing time
is spent in converting from YUV to RGB.
Our application is basically an adaptation of various Apple supplied
examples (mostly the Cocoa - SGDataProc example).

So what's the problem then?

How do I convince the camera to change video modes and video format?
Or rather, does anyone out there have simple example code of doing this.

My problem is that I don't really understand the documentation from
Apple (IIDC info) etc.
In fact I'm not sure that I even know what the right question is.

I've searched with Google, I've read all posts on this list...

I believe that I should use an IIDC Feature/Settings Atom (documented
in the new features of Quicktime 6.4) but I'm not sure.

I would greatly appreciate pointers to helpful information.

BTW, the camera works with the IOXperts driver and Apple's original
IIDC driver.

Thanks in advance.

Anders Holm
Lyyn  AB