Snooping of an existing 1394 camera

Robert Degenford bcdeg at mac.com
Sun Aug 19 13:24:40 GMT 2007

Good Afternoon,
	We are supporting an older (about 5 years old) IR camera system
manufactured by cincinnati electronics.  It has a pixel link 1394
interface.  On a hunch, I downloaded the Industrial Camera driver,
and it worked!  Using the "evocam" application  on a macosx 10.4.9
powerpc platform, I was able to view the live IR coming across the
firewire.  When I selected the source of the video (under
preferences), I could see the "vitana 1394 CEIR" as the driver.   The
problem we are having is that we are trying to share the 1394 camera
between two computers.  The first one is the original legacy PC
system.  With our Mac we are essentially trying to "snoop" the 1394
signal coming from the camera and process the data independently.
Unfortunately, each application on each system seems to "lock" the
1394 camera and prevent the other system from accessing the camera's
data.  I have written my own grabber using the quicktime sequence
grabber, and it does the same thing.  I noticed the original PC API
(written by Vitana) has a "snoop" mode, where by it queries the
camera for the channel is and snoops the data.  Do you know if there
is a way to do this in quicktime?
Thanks!
Any help you could lend on this would greatly be appreciated!

Bob Degenford