video format and inversion

Mike Travisano mtravisano at Saba.com
Mon May 7 13:02:37 GMT 2007

Hello:

I was hoping that someone on this list may have some insight into the
following. I

I'm using the QuickTime VDig interfaces to capture video in real-time
from a Pyro firewire video device. I'm using some of the Sequence
Grabber functions as well, but these are predominantly used for device
enumeration, configuration, etc.

I'm trying to integrate this code into a cross-platform (Mac, Win)
implementation, which uses Trolltech's QT libraries (these have support
for RGB only).

The problems I am seeing are:

1)       It appears as though I cannot get image data in the RGB format
from the input device. It looks like YUV is the only color space
available. I've used other stand-alone applications as well, including
some of the QuickTime examples, and I'm observing the same issue.

2)       The frames appear to be inverted. Rendering of the frames is
done through my use of TrollTech's QT, so the image is flipped 180
degrees.

I'm tempted to write a color space converter (YUV to RGB) and flip the
image at the same time, but I'm hoping that there is a quicker solution.
Are there functions on the Mac to do this? Is there a way to get RGB
data from video capture devices on the Mac?

Thanks for any insight provided.

-Mike