Fwd: Wireless issue

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Thu Feb 1 08:20:19 GMT 2007

At 8:18 AM -0600 1/25/07, Hayley Quesada wrote:
>I have a Pismo G3 and recently installed a Microsoft Wireless MN
>520, after I installed the demo driver (that worked for limited
>time) I bought the driver, but it keeps on dropping the wireless
>signal, what I have tried so far is to close it, keep the IOexperts
>software open (that helped for a few days), but now I have the same
>problem, the connection keeps on dropping.  What can I do?

The most common cause for the connection dropping is interference
from another 2.4 GHz signal source -- another 802.11 network,
cordless phone, Bluetooth device, etc.

Bluetooth in particular is notorious for wiping out 802.11 networks
if you have an unpaired device looking for a host to talk to.

When I had a similar problem, it turned out that my downstairs
neighbors had purchased a 2.4Ghz phone which stomped on 802.11
channels 5 and 6 -- every time they used the phone, the wireless
connection dropped.

Another time someone in the next building had set up a wireless
network on the same channel.

The solution in both cases was to move my wireless network to a
different channel.

There only 3 non-overlapping channels -- 1, 6 and 11, so try those first.

There are utilities available (MacStumbler) that work with Apple's
driver that will tell you what networks are available and what
channel they are on.

The driver doesn't have anything to do with signal quality (and
registering it does nothing but remove the time limit) -- all the
driver does cofigure the card for operation and pipe packets to the
operating system.

The radio is controlled by the card's firmware -- the driver isn't involved.

There may be a firmware update available from the card's
manufacturer, but licensing restrictions prohibit use from
redistributing firmware for cards we don't sell.

Others on the list may have other suggestions for you -- please
remember that when you reply to a mailing list your message is going
to a few hundred users like yourself.

HTH,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                            +1 617 876-2572