10.3.4 precluding successful use of cameras, me too (fire-i, firewire, 2 cameras, no joy)

Steve Sisak (Support) support at ioxperts.com
Thu Jul 22 11:34:18 EDT 2004

At 9:23 AM -0400 7/22/04, Hank Roberts wrote:
>I lost use of the pair of Unibrain Fire-i cameras (I'd been using two
>simultaneously, with EvoCam v3, to do stereo movies).   They'd become
>flaky with 10.3.2, I'd had to go back to the stock Apple drivers that give
>very fuzzy images, because the IOXperts drivers could handle one or the
>other camera but always go to black if I tried both at the same time.

You might want to try again with 10.3.4 -- see my previous post --
also grab 1.1b31 from the ftp server (never announced, but in the
beta directory).

Apple has been fixing and introducing bugs with every minor release
-- I pulled the 1.1b31 release because of flakyness that appears to
have gone away with 10.3.4 (but was definitely there in 10.3.3). Not
clear if theres anything we can do but say dont run on 10.3.2-10.3.3.

It acts like a CFRetain()/CFRelease() problem plus a race condition
somewhere in QuickTime and happens more often in fast machines -- if
one race path wins, no problem, it the other wins theres a reference
count underflow and something gets disposed of too soon.

The new installer/preference code will probably help a lot if we can
get it out the door.

HTH,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                            +1 617 876-2572