10.3.4 precluding successful use of cameras, me too (fire-i, firewire, 2 cameras, no joy)

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Fri Jul 23 14:00:08 EDT 2004

On 22 Jul, 2004, at 11:34, Steve Sisak (Support) wrote:
> It acts like a CFRetain()/CFRelease() problem plus a race condition
> somewhere in QuickTime and happens more often in fast machines -- if
> one race path wins, no problem, it the other wins theres a reference
> count underflow and something gets disposed of too soon.

Just as an FYI...

While I was still working at the University of Pennsylvania, (now
retired), and while Compaq was still an independent company, we
encountered exactly that kind of problem -- it WAS a race condition,
and it ONLY showed up on the fast hardware! (We're talking high-end
Alphas, 64 bit machines, here.)

In that particular case it happened to be a single-threaded process in
authorization which, on slow machines could "never" have more than one
caller at at time, but on a fast machine could easily have many.

In those days, we were directly working with their Engineering group,
so it didn't take too long for us to develop a piece of code which
showed the failure every time it was run. We sent the code to Compaq,
and they claimed that it never failed for them!! After a couple of days
worth of email back and forth, I finally "thought" to ask them -- what
hardware were they using to test the problem with?  As it turned out,
Engineering was using a 3 year old box for testing which was a bout 4
times SLOWER than the hardware we were using. As soon as Engineering
got the same CPU model that we were using BAM the code failed every
time!

A bit of further discussion determined that Engineering was in fact
using ancient desktops for all of their code development and only
testing things on the departmental sever, which, while newer, was
itself was 3 years old!

Given Apple's product rollouts -- it would not surprise me to find this
condition in their Engineering group.

If you have any direct contact with the QuickTime Engineering group,
suggest to them that they need to test on the latest hardware -- the
fastest G5.  They may bless you for the suggestion, because Engineering
always suffers from the "Shoemaker's Children" syndrome. (They're the
ones who either have holes in their shoes or have no shoes... depending
on the version of the story.)  It costs money to provide Engineering
with the latest hardware, and that represents product that doesn't make
it to the street, so the companies tend to resist upgrading them until
the last possible excuse has been used up.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com