Messed Up Fire-i

Steve Sisak (Support) support at ioxperts.com
Sat Jul 24 15:31:43 EDT 2004

I changed the subject to start a new thread -- please remember to use
a meaningful subject if you reply to a digest.

Also, I sent Hank a copy of the 1.1b31 privately -- I'm going to try
and get another build up over the weekend, but am swamped on a
project with a tight deadline for the next few days. (Sorry, have to
pay the bills)

At 2:48 PM -0400 7/24/04, Hank Roberts wrote:
>I can start up seeing both video feeds; change a setting on one camera, and
>both video feeds thereafter are showing only the changed camera and can't
>be altered; I unplug, swap the cables, get both video feeds back for a
>while, then somehow the _label_ for one video feed disappears (again
>leaving both feeds claiming to be from the same camera) but I can wave my
>hands in front of the two pictures and clearly see I still have two
>different cameras.

That's just bizarre -- I don't think it's the bug I'm seeing, however.

>And of course as before, from time to time one goes black and nothing
>happens.
>
>Lots of similar complaints on the Evological webpage, from people.  Sure
>seems to be Apple's problem.
>
>Meanwhile, somehow, in all this, the camera that had gotten its 'backlight'
>setting munged, after sitting unused for several months, has been acting
>normal during the past day or so of experimentation.

That I might be able to help with -- the Texas Instruments TSB15LV01
chip in the Fire-i (and most inexpensive cameras) uses the IIDC
"exposure" parameter to select backlight compensation mode.

Our drivers map this to a different selector and handle it explicitly
-- I'm pretty sure Apple's doesn't know about it -- if you're using
the Apple driver, try playing with different values for the exposure
slider.

The values, 0-6 are in the same order as the popup menu in our driver.

Also if you go to the TI website and download the TSB15LV01 software
manual, it will answer some questions.

>I'm ready to try another IOX beta, when the ftp site gets it available
>again.

I sent you a copy privately -- I switched ftp to X Server and need to
do some work on the permissions.

HTH,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                            +1 617 876-2572