Video-Beta-Discuss Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3

Hank Roberts hank at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 24 14:48:46 EDT 2004

Quoting ....Steve Sisak (Support) wrote:
> It acts like a CFRetain()/CFRelease() problem plus a race condition
> somewhere in QuickTime and happens more often in fast machines -- if
> one race path wins, no problem, it the other wins theres a reference
> count underflow and something gets disposed of too soon.

Would this result?   I'm trying again (this is with the stock Apple
drivers, OSX 10.3.4, two UniBrain Fire-i cameras feeding simultaneously
onto one 'canvas' with EvoCam v3.4).

I can start up seeing both video feeds; change a setting on one camera, and
both video feeds thereafter are showing only the changed camera and can't
be altered; I unplug, swap the cables, get both video feeds back for a
while, then somehow the _label_ for one video feed disappears (again
leaving both feeds claiming to be from the same camera) but I can wave my
hands in front of the two pictures and clearly see I still have two
different cameras.

And of course as before, from time to time one goes black and nothing
happens.

Lots of similar complaints on the Evological webpage, from people.  Sure
seems to be Apple's problem.

Meanwhile, somehow, in all this, the camera that had gotten its 'backlight'
setting munged, after sitting unused for several months, has been acting
normal during the past day or so of experimentation.

I'm ready to try another IOX beta, when the ftp site gets it available
again.