IOX drivers, OSX, firewire ... does not compute, yet?

Hank Roberts hank at spamcop.net
Sat Jun 26 09:58:03 EDT 2004

It's not working yet for me -- OSX 10.3.4, using two UniBrain Fire-i
cameras, which I am operating simultaneously -- except they won't work at
the same time reliably with the IOXperts drivers, yet.  They used to!

Problem arose about a year ago, and I've assumed that the IOX developers
must be trying to chase changes that happen with new versions -- seems to
me that OSX handling of firewire is getting less reliable with each
release.  Apple's problems with their own camera conflicting, with hard
drives being fouled up, and the rest.  Bad news keeps coming.

I gave up -- although I come back and retry sporadically, I always have to
delete the two copies of the IOX drivers and rely on the fuzzier images
Apple's built in drivers provide.

I've noticed that there are a LOT of options for firewire cameras -- using
Videoscope (evological.com) or Ben Bird's BTV Pro, I can see settings for
sharpness, backlight and other adjustments that can be made to the image
from an individual camera.  But I don't find any way to lock those
settings down, and can't use them with my preferred EvoCam (also
evological.com) with two cameras at the same time, as I like to do to make
stereo movies.

It's darned discouraging, honestly, to know how much COULD be done with
firewire imaging, if only I could get the stuff working consistently.