1.1b43

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Wed Feb 2 23:34:37 EST 2005

At 7:54 PM -0800 2/2/05, Hans Tobeason wrote:
>Well, that didn't go well.  I downloaded the debug beta, installed,
>and checked that both my Fire-i cameras were recognized using Camera
>Identifier - Debug, which they were.

OK, first don't use the debug version unless you have a good reason
to (read have the source and are using gdb) -- it's unoptomized and
gcc generates some really horrible code for parts of the driver
without optimization.

The logging version is fully optimized except for the extra logging
code and should perform acceptably.

>Then, I launched SecuritySpy.  That's when things went south.  I had
>to do a bit of dicking around is SS in order to get it to _not_
>recognize the OS X drivers.  Once I did that for the first camera,
>SS started to eat up a lot of CPU cycles.  I then tried to get the
>second camera activated.  My machine locked up - the cursor was
>still active, but everything else was frozen solid.

I need to get a copy of SecuritySpy to test -- will follow up tomorrow.

I see a couple interesting things in the logs -- one of them is that
it looks like both cameras are trying to talk on isoch channel 0,
which may or may not be a bug, depending on wether they are running
at the same time.

>   I waited 5 minutes.  No change.  I rebooted using the dreaded
>reboot button.  I relaunched SS.  It saw the first camera, but
>started sucking just about all of my CPU.  I had to quit it, and
>remove the IOXperts drivers.

Did you try switching to another application (the Dock sometimes
works) then kill SecuritySpy with cmd-opt-esc?

Everything we do is in user space, so it shouldn't be possible for us
to crash more than the application we're running in. (Note that I
said "shouldn't", not "isn't")

>Just one person's (sad) tale.
>
>PowerMac G4 450 AGP 768Mb RAM OS X 10.3.7
>
>Here's the debug log, if it can help:

Actually, it does.

Can you verify that you don't have any pieces of the old driver installed.

Also, switch back to the logging driver if you can.

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476