Installation and the Camera Identifier App

Ian Keck ian.keck at ioxperts.com
Thu Feb 17 12:14:55 EST 2005

We're soliciting feedback on the UI of the 'Camera Identifier' app.
It's the application that comes up at the end of installation which
allows  you to
name your camera(s) and identify them if appropriate.  Naturally, a
number of you
have remarked that it's not clear what you are supposed to do when it
comes up, and that
it doesn't quit when you click save.

It is also accessible as a utility application which allows you rename
or identify your
cameras at any time.

The intent is that you have the ability to rename/identify/register any
of the
cameras you currently have attached.  There is a popup menu that allows
you to select the
camera, and edit box for the name, a popup for the camera type (Divio
cameras only),
and an edit box which displays the unique ID.

A number of you noted, that the save button should quit the
application.  Steve suggested that
there be both a save  button, which quits the app, and an apply button
which applies the current settings but doesn't quit.

We regularly get comments that you can't launch the Purchase/Register
app and do anything
useful.  I'd like to add a register button to the identifier dialog in
order to make Register more accessible.

Any and all comments on the UI for this component are appreciated.

1) Should the camera popup be replaced with a list view of all the
currently attached cameras?
2) The list of cameras should update as cameras are attached and
removed.
3) Our thought is to have at least these buttons in the dialog:
Register, Apply, and Save.  Does this make sense?
4) Eventually, we may want the Identifier app to become a more general
managment application.  Should there be a separate identifier app for
the installer.
5) Does it make more sense to launch the identifier app from the
installer or should it
be launched any time an 'unidentified' camera is attached.  For those
of you who may
not know, the user must use the identifier app to tell our driver which
type of Divio camera
is attached, since the usb vendor and product IDs don't convey enough
information.

Thanks,
Ian