IOXperts Video 1.1.2a1 posted

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Fri Mar 31 11:33:10 EST 2006

I've just posted an update which doesn't expire until 6/1/2006 --
sorry about the inconvenience.

  <http://www.ioxperts.com/downloads/Video/Beta/1.1.2a2/>
  <ftp://ftp.ioxperts.com/IOXperts/Video/Beta/1.1.2a2/>

This build should be stable with all cameras although we haven't been
able to test with all versions of the Logitech firmware in the field.

Please give it a try and let us know if there are any problems.

Thanks,

-Steve

----- New this release -----

Moved expiration date to 6/1/2006

Added logging of UVC status interrupts (w/shift key down)

----- 1.1a1 -----

Mostly complete support for new Logitech Cameras -- most controls now work.

USB Bandwidth negotiation works.

===== From previous release =====

----- New IIDC cameras -----

PixeLINK PL-Axxx series:

I've tested with PL-A741 (monochorme) and PL-A782 6.6 Megapixel color cameras.

Note that you will have to get new firmware from PixeLINK that
supports 4088-byte isoc transfers.

Hitachi HV-F31F 3CCD color camera

There was an issue with not handling 24-bit RGB correctly.

----- New USB cameras -----

Most of the work since the last beta has been in supporting the USB
Video class and the new Logitech QuickCam models:

These are:

   QuickCam Fusion
   QuickCam Pro 5000
   QuickCam Orbit MP
   QuickCam Sphere
   QuickCam for Notebooks Pro.

These cameras are based on a different chipset than the previous
models.  If you have one of these cameras, please gove it a try.

Support is very basic at the moment -- we're supporting MJPEG video
(only) from the camera and none of the controls are hooked up, but
basic video works.

We are also working on some firmware/timing issues with Logitech, so
please report on any issues you may find. Behavior may vary by
firwmare version in your camera.

If you have a camera that implements the USB Video Class
specification and supports MJPEG video, it may work as well -- at the
moment, we don't have any to test, but please let us know if you have
anything to test.

----- Intel Support -----

The Logitech cameras above (and USB Video Class) are supported on Intel Macs.

For the moment, I've turned off support for the Philips SAA811x chips
on Intel because sending an incorrectly byte-swapped command to the
camera can crash the firmware and leave the camera permanently
inoperable.

This includes all but one of the Logitech cameras not mentioned above
and all of the Philips brand cameras we support.  If you are in
doubt, contact us.

We'll re-enable support once we're sure it works properly without
risk to your camera.

------ Other issues -----

There is now an option in the Camera Identifier application to tell
the driver to ignore a specific supported device -- this should
eliminate interference with Apple's iSight driver for users with more
than one webcam.

Although we peacefully coexist with Apple's driver by letting you
choose either driver -- some poorly behaved applications (iChat AV,
Yahoo Instant Messenger, etc.) don't allow you to choose which camera
input to use.

A bug in multiple usb camera support has been fixed, so testing this
will be most appreciated as well.

Thanks,

-Steve

Features in 1.1.2d18
-------------------

Added since 1.1 Final of Webcam and Industrial Camera Drivers

User visible features

     * Added checkbox in Camera Identifier app to tell the driver to
ignore a particular camera.
       This is useful when you have an iSight and a USB Camera and
want to use Apple's iSight driver
       for the iSight and the IOXperts driver for your USB Camera.

     * Added a list of generic Divio camera types to the camera type menu in the
       Camera Identifier app.  This allows users to select generic types when
       using a Divio based camera which we don't have in our list, but which
       has the same vendor and product IDs as the one that we support.
       Divio cameras.

     * Better mode selection support for Industrial cameras.

     * Updated eSellerate engine - purchase now requires entry of
security code when purchasing.

     * Additional cameras supported: IMI Tech IIDC cameras

     * New Logitech cameras supported.

     * Bug in multiple USB camera component instantiation fixed.

Supporting features

     * Device Monitor is now properly written as an OS X daemon and is
launched by launchd on
       10.4  It still runs as a startup item on 10.3

     * Installer and Uninstaller bug fixes.

     * Device monitor preferences are reorganized.
       Let us know if you have any problem running after an overinstall.
       Look for signs that the Camera Identifier app displays no cameras when
       some are plugged in.

Known Behaviors
     This hasn't changed much since 1.1.

     *  Does not support disconnect reconnect.
     *  Does not support multiple cameras in IOXperts camera control.
             Close camera control and re-open after switching sources.
     *  May only open cameras in one app/session at a time. (naturally)
             (Better notification is desirable)
     *  Does not support 10.1
             (Will not support 10.1)
     *  Does not work with Macam driver installed. This is a problem with Macam.
             (In a point release we will refuse to open when we detect
presence of Macam)
     *  Does not Allow switching among 2 Divio based cameras.
             (Older code which is non-reentrant)
     *  Occasionally a USB port will appear to die or become unusable
after using a
        video application.  This is a bug in Apple's USB code. Seen on 10.3.
                (Is it still present on 10.4?)
     *  Camera state not consistently restored after computer wakes from sleep.
     *  We have received localization files from some of our beta testers.
             We'll get these in as soon as we can.
     *  UI may not be fully localized.
     *  Installer removes prefs files for any version prior to 1.1 final.
             Bugs fixed in late beta.
     *  Yahoo! IM is not a very stable program.  You may report bugs
against it to us,
             but it's not a very stable program.

     *  Association of preferences and camera names with multiple USB cameras
        and the reconfiguration of USB cables and hubs.  There are
some obscure cases
        in which preferences for a camera may be mis-selected because
the driver has more
        than one valid choice when mulitple identical usb cameras have
been attached.
        The work-around, when possible, is to keep all cameras
attached, and move one
        at a time.  Of course, it's fairly easy to use the remote
control and camera
        identifier applications to set preferences for a camera.
        (This probably isn't something we can improve very much.

Requirements

     *  Please upgrade your video apps.
         A number of video apps have been fixed as a result of
problems we have found.
         Particularly - iChatUSB, iSPQ.

     *  OS X
         Please use the following versions of Mac OS X
             10.4  (any)
             10.3.9
             10.2.8
Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476