Phillips SPC900NC camera not detected after restart with1.1.2a27 drivers.

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Wed Feb 28 13:59:50 EST 2007

At 1:25 PM +0100 2/28/07, Andi Schwelling wrote:
>James schrieb:
>>I tried the 1.1.2a27 logging drivers and did not have the problem
>>with it failing to recognize the camera after a restart. Still it
>>would be nice to have it working in the non-logging driver too.
>
>I know this problem sporadically from the first time I installed my
>SPC900NC and the driver. It seems the device driver isn't loaded at
>system start, or it does not recognize the cam in that early state
>of system boot and dies.
>In this case it helps (for me) to start
>  /Library/Application Support/IOXperts/Private/ioxdeviced
>by hand from Finder and the cam gets recognized.

That's useful information (and makes sense). Can anyone else who sees
this problem see if Andi's solution works for them?

(This won't work correctly for fast user switching, or across logout,
but relaunching it if you switch user should work)

Also, check system.log and /Library/Logs/CrashReporter for any
mention of ioxdeviced

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone sees this problem on any
device other than a webcam based on the Philips chipset (this would
include Logitech QC Pro 3000-4000 series and white QG for Notebooks
Pro, but not the QC5000 or newer or black QCfNbP).

If the problem is isolated to the Philips that give me a narrower
area in which to look.

-----

For your reference, let me explain a bit about what's going on:

IOXperts' leaves 2 daemons running in order to provide
device-specific preferences, serial number checking, and a way to
IOXperts CameraControl to talk to the driver in other applications,
so that you can change video settings while streaming and in
applications that don't allow access to the standard video settings
dialog.

ioxdeviced is a standard unix daemon that provides device-specific
preferences, device initialization, and acts as a traffic cop to
manage access to a given device from different applications.

Because it is a daemon and runs outside a user's login session, it
can't receive AppleEvents or access QuickTime or present any user
interface (it's limited to the CoreSerivces API).

ioxsessiond is installed as a global login item, running in the
user's login session -- it provides services that can't be done from
a daemon (like UI) and acts as a interface for the driver to forward
requests to ioxdeviced as needed.

In the case of Fast User Switching, there is a separate instance of
ioxsessiond running in each user's login context -- they use
ioxdeviced to coordinate with each other.

(Supporting Fast User Switching is very messy as the instances of
ixosessiond have to count events to see which one is the current user
and there are many race condition)

For completeness, the "driver" (IOXperts Webcam.component) is a
QuicTime Video Digitizer component, an instance of which potentially
runs in any application which uses QuickTIme.

Note that if you launch ioxdeviced manually, it will run in your own
login session rather than the system context and will be terminated
if you logout and may not be accessible if you switch user.

-----

It sound like ioxdeviced is either crashing of not launching as a
result of an error.

The reason I asked about wether this is specific to the Philips
chipset is that ioxdeviced performs the additional step of putting
these cameras into low power mode (light off) when connected (the
driver then turns the camera on or off as needed).

Since the Mic in the camera is controlled by the system USB Audio
Class driver, I'm wondering if there's a race condition where
ioxdeviced and the audio driver are trying to talk to the camera at
the same time and, as a result ioxdeviced gets an error and fails to
launch -- logging may cause enough a delay to prevent this from
happening.

In any case, please let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476