M-2 Scalar Users

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Wed May 2 23:51:25 EDT 2007

At 1:58 PM -0700 5/2/07, Kevin Lightner wrote:
>>Hello Scalar M-2 beta testers:
>>
>>Please try all driver updates with Proscope HR software as well as
>>USB Shot. It may be that your problems are residing partly in the
>>USB Shot application and not the driver alone. Proscope HR software
>>is a free download from <http://www.proscopehr.com>www.p
>>roscopehr.com ; Software link on the left; scroll down to the Mac
>>download link. Thanks for your perseverance with this project.
>>Please test the snapshot capabilities first before trying the video
>>feature.
>
>I'll give it a go, but any viewing app seems to do this.
>The Proscope and USB shot have actually been the worst in this regard.
>But BTV Pro 5.4.1, Videoscope 1.3, Mixscope and others act the same
>and freeze after a bit.

Hi Kevin,

I don't know much about Proscope HR, but I do know that USB shot is
not a universal binary, so it will be running under Rosetta on Intel
machines -- it's also not the most stable of applications, but we
have no control over it.

The driver should work in this environment, but may not perform as
well as in a native application and there are definitely different
code paths involved.

If you want another test application, there is a modified copy of
HackTV (QuickTime test application) on our website that you can use
for testing in this directory:

<http://www.ioxperts.com/downloads/Utilities/>

HackTV Universal is a universal binary and will run native on either
PPC or Intel.

HackTV Carbon is PPC only and will exercise the Rosetta code path if
you run it on an Intel machine.

Assuming you're on am Intel machine, it may be worth trying both and
see if there are any differences -- also try relaunching ioxdeviced
as described in my previous message.

If that doesn't work, Install the logging version of the driver and
send me the logs of some misbehavior as well as the steps to
reproduce.

Also, there is definitely something going on on 10.4.9 that wasn't
present on 10.4.8, but I don't have enough data to understand it yet.

Thanks,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476