IOXperts Video 1.1.2a47 posted

Greg Glover lists at gregglover.com
Thu Feb 21 15:36:55 EST 2008

(Re-sending; accidently sent directly to Steve instead of the List)

On Feb 21, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Steve Sisak wrote:

> At 10:06 AM -0800 2/21/08, Greg Glover wrote:
>> I'm still getting the strange files with my installs on a US
>> English system.
>
> I'm beginning to think that this might be some other piece of
> software -- do you have any idea when they show up?
>
> If you delete the files, install the driver, and reboot are the
> files there?

I did some detective work today. I do have a Device Keys folder
containing what appears to be a key file. The mystery files are in
addition to this and have different names, alternating alphanumerics
and % signs, like %BF%FFް%BF%FF%DFX%BF%FF޸%A0nl. I did an experiment
which might help: I drop then in the trash but am unable to empty
trash because these files are in use; however if I quit the "IOXperts
Session Monitor" process using Activity Monitor, the files are no
longer in use and I am able to empty trash. So they seem to be owned
by that process. As soon as I relaunch it (ioxsessiond app inside /
Library/Application Support/IOXperts/Private/ ) another one of these
files is re-created.

> If you run HackTV
>
> <http://www.ioxperts.com/downloads/Utilities/HackTV%20Universal.zip>
>
> do they show up?

I've been using QuickTime Player --> New Movie Recording to monitor my
cam. HackTV is a faster way to get the cam going, thanks for that.

> Or do they show up after running one of your other video applications?

I think they appear on boot, and my explanation above seems to have
outed the culprit -- I hope?

> Tom Talbott sent me a copy of his MAC addresses and they don't match
> the file names, so that shoots the key file theory.
>
> One interesting experiment would be to make the root directory read
> only and see what crashes.

Not sure I want to try that!

>> Also, it doesn't seem to play nice with other cams. I have a UVC
>> cam (XBox Live Vision, works with Leopard & even iChat without
>> additional drivers) and I am rarely able to have both working at
>> the same time -- say the QuickCam Notebooks Pro in Skype and the
>> UVC cam in iChat. This might be an OS level limitation though.
>
> We go through great pains to cooperate with other cameras, but you
> might be running out of USB bus bandwidth.
>
> You can use the "Bandwidth" slider to restrict the amount of
> bandwidth that thie IOX driver will let the camera have in leave
> bandwidth over for others.
>
> I don't believe Apple's driver has any way to do that, but if you
> can get the QuickCam running at reduced bandwidth and then start the
> other camera, it will take what's left over.

Good call, I was able to get HackTV working with the QuickCam and
QuickTime Player running the other cam. However, iChat still refuses
to cooperate: "The application iChat quit unexpectedly. The problem
may have been caused by the IOXperts Webcam plug-in". That's what the
error message actually said.

I turned the bandwidth back up to full and was still able to have both
cams running on HackTV and QuickTime Player. It's just that some apps,
especially iChat and Skype, don't like this dual USB cam thing.

> If you run across other UVC cameras that work let me know and I'll
> try and get some for testing.

OK, although I doubt you'll find a UVC camera cheaper than the XBox
one. I don't even have an XBox; I bought it for my Mac. The QuickCam
produces superior images though.

Greg