Philips 690k, Skype, Mirror Flipped Image

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Mon Jan 7 11:45:25 EST 2008

At 7:17 PM -0600 1/5/08, Jeff Phillips wrote:
>That makes sense--iChat does the same thing.
>
>On Jan 5, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Tom Talbott wrote:
>
>>I don't see a way to set the camera settings.  But, I just did a
>>call using the drivers and the recipient of the call says that it
>>looked fine.  Apparently, the Mac version of Skype shows your own
>>image mirrored.  That wasn't my experience with the PC version, so
>>I guess I was confused.

I believe that this is the case.

My understanding is that in their UI testing, Apple discovered normal
users are more used to looking at themselves in a mirror than on
television and therefore mirroring the preview window makes users
more comfortable.

It looks like Skype is following suit.

While the driver provides flip and mirror controls, which can be
accessed with the standard QuickTime Video Settings dialog (if the
application permits it) or via IOXperts Camera Control behind the
application's back, turning on mirroring in the driver would likely
flip the image the way you like, but send a mirrored image to the
person you're talking to, which is probably not what you want.

At some point, I'm thinking we should add application-specific
defaults and preferences to the driver so that it's possible to
better handle application peculiarities w/o needing to release new
driver versions, but I want to get the current release out in stable
form and get Firewire on Intel working first.

If anyone has particular suggestions, I'd be interesting in hearing them.

Best wishes,

Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476