Quickcam Orbit AF Problems

Stefan Will stefan.will at gmx.net
Tue Mar 4 00:21:50 EST 2008

Hi Steve,

Steve Sisak wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply -- I think your original message got
> bounced by the list server due to the size of the attached picture.

Actually my initial email sent from the default OSX mail client bounced
with an error message saying something about "skipping non-text/plain
text parts", even though I had set the text format to plain text. The
only way I could get past that error message was to send it from
Thunderbird. But then I realized that the attachments were way beyond
the 40k limit and I had to trim the picture and leave out the logs.
>> I recently bought a new Logitech Quickcam Orbit AF to use with my
>> Intel based Mac Mini. It works fine with the built in driver, but I
>> got the IOXperts driver so I can use the Pan/Tilt/Zoom features on
>> the camera. I got it working once with the beta 43 driver, but never
>> consistently. The typical behavior is that the camera initializes
>> when I open a camera window (the led turns on), but then I don't get
>> any video and in Skype I just get a constantly rotating beach ball.
>
> I think that this may be a camera firmware issue and I may have a
> workaround for it -- if this is the case, I may have a fix for you
> shortly.

Great ! Can't wait to test it.
>> The other weird thing is that the camera control window comes up with
>> chinese (?) characters (see screenshot) even though I have the US
>> English version of OSX 10.4.
>
> We see that every once in awhile and I still have no idea what causes
> it, but there's an easy workaround.
>
> If you open the Internaltional Settings control panel on your
> computer, change the default language to something other than English,
> then change it back, the problem appears to be fixed permanently.

I tried that: I changed the default language to German, rebooted,
switched back to English, rebooted. The problem was still there. I of
course also tried it once without rebooting.