[IOXperts Video-Developers] Pixel format support

Steve Sisak steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
Fri Feb 6 09:20:32 GMT 2004

At 3:44 PM +1100 2/5/04, Daniel Heckenberg wrote:
>I've been working on direct vdig capture with the IOXperts IIDC
>driver (and the Apple driver).  I'm using the latest 1.1b30 driver.
>
>I can't make the IOXperts driver return frames in '2yuv' format.
>Using the following call:
>  err = VDSetCompression(	vdigCompInst,
>                             '2vuy ',//'yuv2' and 'raw ' work as expected
>                             0,
>                             &bounds,
>                             0,
>                             0,
>                             0);
>returns noErr however the frames are returned in the default 'yuv2'
>format.  If I try the same call (and surrounding call sequence with
>'raw ' I have no problems.  I've tried a number of sensible settings
>for the bounds including a null pointer.
>
>The list of supported compression types reported by VDGetCompressionTypes is:
>'yuvs' , 'yuv2' , '2vuy' , 'raw ' , ' yuvu'

Hi Daniel,

You're doing it correctly -- I'll have to take a look at the code,
but I've added and removed 2vuy support a few times.

FYI-2vuy is a lossy conversion from the IIDC native YUV formats as it
involves compressing the range of all of the components (the native
formats use full-range for Y,U,V), for instance, the camera produces
y=[0..255] u,v=[0..255] which must be mapped to y=[16..240]
u,v=[16..236]

yuv2 is a lossless conversion as all we do is scramble the bytes and
flip the high bit if u,v to convert from the IIDC yuv 4:2:2 formats
(for the 4:1:1 and 4:4:4 formats, we replicate and drop the odd u,v
respectively) -- you may ba able to use this  if you're doing further
conversion

For the time being, if you like, I can send you a fast routine for
converting yuv2 to 2vuy in place.

HTH,

-Steve

P.S. I got rid of the list prefix in the subject -- I'm assuming most
people filter on the headers and it was way too long

P.P.S. For anyone who's not on the beta-announce list, please test 1.1b30
Steve Sisak, CTO                                 steve.sisak at ioxperts.com
IOXperts, Inc.                                     voice: +1 617 876-2572
87 Bristol St #3A                                    fax: +1 617 876-2337
Cambridge, MA 02139                               mobile: +1 617 388-6476