[IOXperts Video-Developers] Re: OK, now how about ->two<- QuickCams?

rob shaw rob at haptek.com
Wed Jan 28 02:08:20 GMT 2004

Just to finish out this thread, I can report that we successfully
got two USB QuickCam Orbits to function on the same computer,
sending the video to two different windows.  We were able to
get full 30 Hz frame rates by first adding another PCI USB card to
our upgraded 8500, then shrinking the capture window somewhat,
for example 180 x 240 in 16 bit color seems to work fine.  This
resolution is plenty for our purposes.  We are assembling the two
images side by side, then sending them out the video port of the 8500,
where another machine will do the disparity calculations on the
stereo pair.  In addition, we have simultaneous motor control
of the Orbits.

This is all under OS 9, apparently this can't (yet?) be done in OS X,
and can't be done with firewire cameras in either operating system.
There are mysteries, such as some dreaded Type 10 errors when the
windows become large enough to drop the frame rate below 30 Hz.
Also, the quickcams sometimes have to be plugged in in the right
order to get both images to appear, and the computer sometimes
has to be sprinkled with holy water.

But all in all, pretty impressive behavior for a driver that has
never been tested in this configuration!

Thanks,

rob