Update: Problems with Oricoco silver

Dave Bonhoff gtidave at golden.net
Tue Jan 20 21:06:36 GMT 2004

Thanks for the reply Nathan!

I have used an SMC card to test the network, as well as other users
having no problems.  Nothing wrong with the network.  I had a coworker
with a PC laptop flash the firmware on the card today to 8.72.1 and the
card worked for about 40 min or so before becoming unstable.  With the
new firmware, the power LED remains on while the card is powered (this
is a change from the older 8.10 firmware), but the card looses the
signal repeatedly until it reports that it is out of range.  If I click
'apply now' in the preference pane it reports <Searching for
Network...>.

If I power the card down and remove it, once it has been out for a
while it begins working again.  I'm not sure if this is a hardware
issue, possibly related to heat, or a software issue.  I'm leaning
towards software since the card worked fine using the open source
wireless driver (in OS X.2.8) and in X.3.2 with the IOXperts driver
until I put my Lombard to sleep with the card active, a few hours after
registering the driver!

The fact that flashing the firmware to a newer revision has made such a
dramatic change in operation further strengthens this feeling.  The
complete lack of communication, so far, from IOXperts support isn't
encouraging though...

Thanks again for the reply!
Dave

---
'The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people that
are evil, but because of the people that don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein