Update: Problems with Oricoco silver

IOXperts Support support at ioxperts.com
Wed Jan 21 00:06:42 GMT 2004

On Jan 20, 2004, at 9:06 PM, Dave Bonhoff wrote:
> If I power the card down and remove it, once it has been out for a
> while it begins working again.  I'm not sure if this is a hardware
> issue, possibly related to heat, or a software issue.  I'm leaning
> towards software since the card worked fine using the open source
> wireless driver (in OS X.2.8) and in X.3.2 with the IOXperts driver
> until I put my Lombard to sleep with the card active, a few hours
> after registering the driver!

Sorry for the delay--I've been ill recently, and am only now catching
up with a backlog of support email.  If other cards in the same machine
don't show the same symptoms, and if it's wavering in and out before it
fails completely, it really sounds like a hardware problem of some
sort.  I can't imagine what sleeping your Lombard could have done, but
the driver generally either works or it doesn't.  In particular, the
driver has no control over the signal strength or whether or not the
card is searching for the base station--it just passes along what the
card is reporting as its current status.  Clicking on "Apply now" in
the preference pane will cause the driver to attempt to reset the the
card, but if the card is already having problems, this may or may not
succeed.

> The fact that flashing the firmware to a newer revision has made such
> a dramatic change in operation further strengthens this feeling.

It's certain suggestive.  Unfortunately, in all other Orinoco Silver
cards we've tested with, 8.10 and 8.72 versions of the firmware act
identically as far as connectivity is concerned.

>   The complete lack of communication, so far, from IOXperts support
> isn't encouraging though...

Sorry about that.  We're small enough that having one or two people get
bitten by winter viruses can really impact our normally quick support
turnaround time.

One thing that might help.  The next time it fails, open up a terminal
window and type the command "dmesg".  This will display the most recent
system log messages.  Whenever our driver gets unexpected results from
the card, we log a system message.  If the output of "dmesg" shows a
bunch of messages starting with "IOXperts 802.11 Driver", please copy
those into an email message and forward it to support at ioxperts.com.
That might help us track this down if it's a driver problem, or confirm
whether or not it's a hardware problem.

Amanda Walker
IOXperts, Inc.