Video-Beta-Discuss Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3

Hank Roberts hank at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 24 10:10:58 EDT 2004

I had one of my two Unibrain Fire-i cameras go whacky after my most
recent try (OSX 10.3.4) -- it constantly cycles from washed out to
normal, blink, washed out .... -- and the manufacturer says that one of
the settings in the camera for the multiple varieties of backlighting
must have been changed.

None of those settings are normally visible with the Mac OS, except with
BenBird's software and Evological's "Videoscope"  and neither of those
tools can make any of the camera settings stick.  Apparently Windows
apps can get at these registers, anyone know for sure?

I'd bet Apple is letting stray signals go through the firewire interface
that Apple is ignoring and pretending don't exist, frankly.    "See no
evil, hear no evil, lose no profits" kind of attitude at Apple, seems to
me, with hardware problems.  Sure, it could be coincidence that one of
two cameras goes black after a while, and one of two got one of its
settings zapped somehow.

No offense meant to IOXperts.  I'm watching the local Mac dealers like
MacAdam finally get fed up with being undermined by Apple, and suspect
Apple's taking the same approach to independent developers, no support.

I can't find the older version either: