[IOXperts Wireless-Discuss] Problem eject/reinserting

IOXperts Support support at ioxperts.com
Thu Nov 6 18:34:13 GMT 2003

On Nov 6, 2003, at 4:14 PM, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
> I'm having a problem on a DHCP network where if I eject my card and
> reinsert it, the driver doesn't reattach to the card.

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that I can reproduce
this problem 100% under Panther.

The bad news is that the problem seems to be a bug in Apple's DHCP
client.  It is failing to remove the IP address from the interface when
the DHCP release fails (interestingly, it does remove autoconfigured IP
& IPv6 addresses, so this is definitely DHCP-specific).  The reason I
hadn't noticed it myself is that my DHCP server hands out addresses
based on the DHCP client ID, so it usually gives me the same IP address
for a particular machine instead of a different one on each request.

The DHCP release happens after our driver unloads, so we can't simply
"fake" a successful transmit for the DHCP release.  We'll pull over the
current Darwin sources and see what we can do to work around the
problem.  I can't promise a fix will make it into 1.0.3, but as soon as
we have a fix we'll issue it as a bug fix release.  If we can't work
around it, we'll open an incident with Apple and suggest a bug fix on
their end.

Thanks again for the detailed bug report.

Amanda Walker
Sr. Software Engineer
IOXperts, Inc.