[IOXperts Wireless-Discuss] Problem eject/reinserting

Mohammad A. Haque mhaque at haque.net
Thu Nov 13 11:46:50 GMT 2003

On Nov 06, 2003, at 18:34 , IOXperts Support wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2003, at 4:14 PM, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
>> I'm having a problem on a DHCP network where if I eject my card and
>> reinsert it, the driver doesn't reattach to the card.
>
> I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that I can reproduce
> this problem 100% under Panther.

Great. Reproduction is always good. Means I'm not going crazy.

> The bad news is that the problem seems to be a bug in Apple's DHCP
> client.  It is failing to remove the IP address from the interface
> when the DHCP release fails (interestingly, it does remove
> autoconfigured IP & IPv6 addresses, so this is definitely
> DHCP-specific).  The reason I hadn't noticed it myself is that my DHCP
> server hands out addresses based on the DHCP client ID, so it usually
> gives me the same IP address for a particular machine instead of a
> different one on each request.

Yes, same behavior on my machine when I'm on my home network.

> The DHCP release happens after our driver unloads, so we can't simply
> "fake" a successful transmit for the DHCP release.  We'll pull over
> the current Darwin sources and see what we can do to work around the
> problem.  I can't promise a fix will make it into 1.0.3, but as soon
> as we have a fix we'll issue it as a bug fix release.  If we can't
> work around it, we'll open an incident with Apple and suggest a bug
> fix on their end.

So long as the problem is known and will be fixed (and appear on the
Macsense drivers), I'm happy.

> Thanks again for the detailed bug report.

Not a problem. Let me know if you'd like me to test any potential fixes.

Mohammad A. Haque                              http://www.haque.net/
                                                mhaque at haque.net

   "Alcohol and calculus don't mix.
    Don't drink and derive." --Unknown