lomard powerbook no link

Philip Harvey phil_harvey at mac.com
Thu Dec 7 08:49:25 GMT 2006

Hello Bob

I use an old G3 Lombard as my main computer even though I have a
fully loaded 17-inch Macbook Pro laptop. I keep the G3 by my bed and
have a wireless link to a router downstairs in the hallway.

I've had a wireless link running for about 3 years without any
trouble. I initially used an Orinoco pcmcia wireless card with a
Netgear DG814GT wireless router to access the Internet. I purchased
an IOXperts driver for the wireless card because OS X didn't have a
suitable driver.

I've since upgraded to a Netgear DG834GT router and switched to using
a DELL wireless card because I can use the OS X Airport driver with
it. It's a slightly better combination than the Orinoco and IOXperts
driver which is now redundant.

Each configuration has proven to be utterly reliable.

The only downside is that the pcmcia card protrudes about 1-inch from
the body of the Lombard and if one is not careful it is very easily
damaged. Apart from that, I am completely happy with this wireless
configuration. You may have to play around with the router settings
but once set has proven very reliable. I prefer to use a pcmcia card
with LEDs so you can see it working. There's normally two on most
pcmcia cards: a power on LED and a transmit LED.

I also maxed the RAM on mt G3 to 512Mb and changed the H/disk for a
60Mb version. I am also running the latest version of Tiger, thanks
to Xpostfacto from OWC. My 400Mhz Lombard is easily capable of
running Tiger and it's not slow given that this model Powerbook was
ceased at the turn of the Millenium. It has many years life still in it.

Guess what, I've replying using my G3.

Regards

Phil

United Kingdom